Ronaldo accuser ‘encouraged by #MeToo movement’ to lodge complaint
The ‘#MeToo’ movement against sexual assaults on women was what spurred Kathryn Mayorga to press a complaint that she was raped by Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo almost a decade ago, the lawyers of the alleged victim said at a news conference on Thursday.
“The #MeToo movement and the women who have stood up and disclosed sexual assaults has given Kathryn a lot of courage, and has enabled her to come forward,” Leslie Stovall, her lawyer, said.
Mayorga claims Ronaldo raped her on 13 June 2009 during a party in a hotel in Las Vegas, but the Juventus player has denied the accusation.
She reported the alleged assault to police in Las Vegas on the same day and underwent a medical examination, but the case was never taken forward. According to Mayorga, she was paid $375,000 (€325,000) to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
Ronaldo denied the accusations on Wednesday in a post on social media.
“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in,” reads the post on his Twitter account.
In a second post, he said that his conscience was “clear” and that he awaits “with tranquility” the results of any investigation.
Mayora, 34, who is now a teacher, sued Ronaldo in a district court in Clark County, Las Vegas, last week.
VR/MWYP // ARO.